Some kind of strapline ?
The Covid-19 pandemic has seen educators on the front line – organising to help keep our workplaces and communities safe. Our union has led determined resistance to a reckless government. We have mobilised hundreds of thousands of members – showing that when workers organise over safety, we can win. Now we need to fight for a fairer education system with our students’ needs at it its heart. The time is right to establish a left organisation in the NEU based on the values and commitment shown by members throughout the pandemic. We want to make sure that these principles are embedded at every level of the NEU.
Sign up now to become a member of NEU Left.
Five principles of the NEU left
*Un updated version of our principles will be agreed and voted on at our founding AGM on Saturday 13 November 2021
- Organising a member-led union
- The need to build mass campaigns amongst our members and in local communities to win support for NEU campaigns that will benefit teachers, support staff and children – on testing, education, pay, workload etc;
- A commitment to what has been called the “organising agenda” in the NEU – being a member-led union means putting school based organisation and reps, and networks of reps at the heart of the union we are seeking to build.
- We are for the maximum involvement of members in decision making and campaigning.
- A determination to achieve professional unity – one union for all in education.
- A belief that all children have an equal right to access a broad and balanced curriculum.
- We oppose the labelling of children as failures and the obscene valuation of them as commodities.
- Taking up wider educational issues is crucial – for example “resisting the GERM”.
- We stand for a radical rethink of the curriculum and pedagogy.
- Social Justice
- Encouraging teachers and support staff to discuss the development of social justice as a focus for education.
- A firm stance on linking our fight within education to the wider fight for social justice across society – consciously linking our struggles with those of other workers and community groups.
- A resolute opposition to all forms of racism.
- Opposition to all forms of discrimination, harassment and bullying.
- A commitment to developing equalities work in the union.
- A belief that internationalism and international solidarity are a key component of trade union work.
- Continuing support for the Steve Sinnott Foundation, for solidarity with teacher trade unions in Cuba and Palestine, and for international peace and disarmament.
Sign up now to become
a member of NEU Left
Members will have voting rights at our founding AGM, which will be held online on Saturday 13 November. The time is now to build a left organisation within the NEU.
Check out our blog for update analysis and perspectives on the fight for a better education for all.